World Rivers Day 2022

by Bill Davis

Tomorrow, Sun, 9/25, is World Rivers Day which is a day of celebration and recognition for the world's rivers (the image used is my fav swimming hole on a river here in Oregon).  Water is 70%+ of the earth's surface and of that, ~96.5% is the ocean and 2.5% is freshwater of which 98.5%+ is glaciers, groundwater and ice caps which leaves < 1.5% as surface water such as lakes, rivers and streams of which ~.5%, one half (1/2) of one (1) percent, of that is rivers.  That being said, for their small mass / size, rivers are absolutely critical for human survival:

"Rivers are important for many reasons.  One of the most important things they do is carry large quantities of water from the land to the ocean.  There, seawater constantly evaporates.  The resulting water vapor forms clouds.  Clouds carry moisture over land and release it as precipitation.  This freshwater feeds rivers and smaller streams.  The movement of water between land, ocean, and air is called the water cycle.  The water cycle constantly replenishes Earth’s supply of freshwater, which is essential for almost all living things."

Yeah, kind of important, yet we aren't taking as good of care of them as we should be.  One example is the amount of plastic entering the ocean from rivers.  Not good.  And here in the US we have a significant challenge with agricultural run off entering rivers which is the primary reason on the 50th anniversary of the Clean Water Act ~50% of assessed rivers and streams are classified as impaired Add in climate change which is shifting precipitation patterns as well as reducing snowpack so less water enters rivers, we are really stressing our water supply which is CRITICAL for humans to SURVIVE. Come on folks, we can do much better than we have been if we put our minds to it.

Besides World Rivers Day, other organizations trying to improve the condition of our rivers, and streams, are American Rivers, Inland Ocean Coalition and many others at regional and state levels.  Glad we have organizations like this, but much more is needed which leads me to my next paragraph.

For anyone who didn't hear, last week Patagonia restructured it's ownership such that now all profits, after business concerns have been managed, will go to address climate change.  Yvon Chouinard is a man among men, why is a 1% for the Planet member given in 2021 Patagonia was voted the most reputable company in the US.  Protecting our beaches, ocean, lakes, ponds, rivers and streams one baja jacket at a time.